Sunday 30 June 2013

Top 5 All-Time Faves (Rightie's Version)

For us book lovers, picking an all-time favourite book is like picking a favourite child. However, I will list here those that I return to over and over....books that never cease to please me, and truly deserving of 5 napkins. After all, don't we all have those books that are like old friends?

(N.B. I will not post the synopsis of the books, because if I do, this post will be about 20,000 words:P This is a succinct list, y'all!)

5) Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Despite being written for a young audience, Harry Potter and JK Rowling captured the hearts of all ages. What's not to love about this series? It has magic, dragons, great characters, and Hogwarts.

4) Lord Of The Rings series by JRR Tolkien
Tolkien created such a vivid world, filled with such well-developed characters, that every time I re-read the books, it always feels like a visiting an alternate universe that I don't want to leave.

3) The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
Very inspiring and reminiscent of Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince.

2) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I must admit that I didn't get to read Jane Eyre until last year, and I regret not reading it before! This is one of those rare books that I immediately re-read favourite parts as soon as I finished it. Jane is my favourite heroine to date, for her tenacity and braveness, and Mr.Rochester will forever be one of my favourite heroes (despite his flaws).

1) The Secret History by Donna Tartt
I discovered this book when two authors in a magazine listed this as a must-read. And so, I'm telling anyone who has not read this book to go buy it now. This was Donna Tartt's first novel, but it has the quality of being written by a veteran novelist.
 I re-read this book every year. What impressed me most about this book is not the plot itself, but Tartt's well-written characterization of the group of students whose academic life was greatly influenced by a certain professor.

So, here is my list. What is your top-five?

-Rightie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...